20 (More) Astonishing Abandoned Buildings, Property & Places
A photographer stumbled across this abandoned farmhouse in Wylam, a small village located in the English county of Northumberland. The decaying remains of stone, wood and metal have now been flattened to make way for luxury apartments.
Newark, New Jersey Subway Tunnel
The Newark City Subway was built between 1929-1937 and was originally used as an off-street route for some of the Public Service trolley lines. The underground portion is only a mile long, and parts of it have been closed off since the streetcar lines were discontinued in 1952. Until a few years ago, urban explorers resourceful enough to find a way in could still see the old trolleys that were stored in these areas, but they’ve since been donated to museums and other cities.
Russia Country Manor
This stunning, intricately detailed abandoned farmhouse in Russia is located deep within the forest, far from civilization. It’s thought to be a 19th century family home in the region of Kostroma. Its outside is remarkably well preserved, but the inside has suffered serious damage. There are many abandoned homes in the forests of Russia, too far away from modern conveniences for most people’s preference.
Gary, Indiana City Methodist Church
The City Methodist Church in Gary, Indiana once housed 3,000 congregants, but attendance dropped sharply as Gary fell victim to an economic depression that saw thousands of the city’s residents move elsewhere. When it closed in 1975, there were only 200 members. In 1997, the church suffered a fire that greatly damaged the interior. It has stood empty ever since, like so many other buildings in Gary.
This grand building was part of the Brussels Tour & Taxi site at the turn of the 20th century, and was used until 1987 as a warehouse by customs. Known as “Warehouse B“, the building consists of five floors of galleries that encircle an atrium. During World War II, it was used by the Germans as a prison. It is still known locally as “The Prison”.
Pick Fort Shelby Hotel
The Pick Fort Shelby Hotel was one of Detroit’s many abandoned buildings before renovations began this year. It’s set to become a Doubletree Hotel in December 2009. The historic building opened in 1917 and enjoyed many years of success, but didn’t survive the economic depression of Detroit in the early 1970s. Since 1974 the only remaining life was its last tenant, a bar, which closed in 1998.
Danvers State Insane Asylum
The Danvers State Insane Asylum (photographs by Thomas Kirsch of Opacity.us) is, of course, the most famous of all abandoned psychiatric hospitals. It was built in 1878 in an extremely rural location in Massachusetts, and stood empty between its closing in 1992 and demolition in 2006. In April 2007, the apartment buildings erected in its place partially burned down in a fire. Many of the Salem witch trials reportedly took place in the vicinity of the hill upon which Danvers was built. Danvers is thought to be the inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft’s Arkham Sanitarium, which in turn provided inspiration for Arkham Asylum in the Batman comic book series.
Chippewa Lake Park
Chippewa Lake Park, located in Chippewa Lake, Ohio, operated from 1878 until 1978 when it closed due to low attendance. The Chippewa Lake Ballroom burned down in 2002, and the land the park sits on was sold earlier this year. The owners sold all of the valuable parts and what remains has been partially reclaimed by the surrounding forest.
Antelope Valley Ranch Home
L.A. photographer JJ MacCrimmon came across this abandoned home in the Antelope Valley area of Los Angeles County. The residents of this 1950s era ranch home seem to have been forcibly evicted, as evidenced by the toys, clothing, drawings and other personal effects still scattered outside. It’s certainly sad to see what was once a family’s life lying face-down in the dirt.
Lambarte, Latvia Soviet Missile Silo
The Dvina Complex, located near Lambarte in Latvia, is an abandoned military facility once used as a nuclear missile silo by the USSR. The Dvina Complex consists of a central command and technical support bunker and four silos. The entrance, located at the end of a dirt road, is barely visible and the domes of the silos simply resemble grassy hills.